CollectingBanter

-   Paper Money (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is us money 2 sheets combined? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=41003)

Matthew Johnson October 15th 04 02:24 AM

Is us money 2 sheets combined?

My aunt this weekend said that dollars are 2 sheets combined together.
Is this true? can you pull them apart?

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson

http://www.thosejohnsons.com/

Vinkjm October 16th 04 01:16 AM

hi
i have a silver certificate that has been pulled apart, with many signatures
,whitch must have been done in 1945 ,bought on ebay.
i have seen it done about the same year.
and have been told the silver certs. were made of linen base paper, the
federal reserve made of cotton ,therefore not able to come apart.??? i know
nothing about either, ,except that i have one
marty

Sheldon England October 21st 04 11:52 PM

Matthew Johnson wrote in message om...
My aunt this weekend said that dollars are 2 sheets combined together.
Is this true? can you pull them apart?

Regret I don't understand your question.

USA paper money is printed in sheets (as are most nations' paper
money) and sometimes dealers/collectors have access to these. A sheet
of 40 $1 notes will be more expensive than 40 $1 notes.

Or ... do you ask if there is a front and back sheet that are glued
together? If so the answer is ... sort of. I am not an expert on USA
paper but know that one of the main anti-counterfitting techniques
used is the micro "threads" that are imbedded into the special paper
used for printing. On the $10 this thread has the number "10" for
example. This thread is woven into the paper before printing. I am
under the impression that it is imbedded and highly doubt you could
separate the two 'faces' of the note.

Maybe there's someone else in this group who can better advise. Hope
this is helpful.

- Sheldon