CollectingBanter

-   Card discussions (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Topps. The Enron of baseball cards. (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=18720)

ImSoExcitedImSoExcitedImsoSCARED July 15th 03 08:14 PM

Topps. The Enron of baseball cards.

Subject: Topps. The Enron of baseball cards.
From: "Chris Harris"
Date: 7/14/2003 10:13 PM Eastern Standard Time
http://msn.espn.go.com/sportsbusines...14/1580511.htm

So he's selling all 159 cards? And I;m not sure how it's "free publicity"
since he has to pay at least 30 cents per card just to list, and then a nice
cut to eBay for each item sold.
-----------------
"It's no secret around Nashville that Kid Kash beats his women!" - Kid Kash,
TNA, June 2003.

Dave C. July 16th 03 04:57 AM

Here's what's curious to me: what did Topps have to gain by printing and
distributing the extra cards in the first place? They might have gained 70
extra "happy customers", at the risk of ****ing off 70,000 others customers?
It doesn't make much sense. Pretty low, though.

-Dave C.

"Chris Harris" wrote in message
http://msn.espn.go.com/sportsbusines...4/1580511.html

Chris Harris
www.stalegum.com

Dave C. July 16th 03 05:03 AM

It's "free publicity" because he is already being charged to sell the cards,
so there is no additional cost for publicizing his experience with Topps.

-Dave C.

"ImSoExcitedImSoExcitedImsoSCARED" wrote in
message ...

HOCKEYRON July 16th 03 05:06 AM

Here's what's curious to me: what did Topps have to gain by printing and
distributing the extra cards in the first place? They might have gained 70
extra "happy customers", at the risk of ****ing off 70,000 others customers?
It doesn't make much sense. Pretty low, though.

-----------------
possibly Topps made extra cards for "replacement cards" and they got
mistakenly inserted into packs .......
would'nt be the first time cards not intended for consumers were put into
packs .........
but yes you're right ..... why make more??
It would only lessen the cards values .......
ron

BlackJet76 July 16th 03 05:25 AM

First it was corcked bat cards now its this. I bet you one day there will be a
story about two serial numbered cards having the same serial number. Won't be
far off.

Ryan Cracknell July 16th 03 08:12 AM

"BlackJet76" wrote in message
First it was corcked bat cards now its this. I bet you one day there will

be a
story about two serial numbered cards having the same serial number. Won't

be
far off.

It already has - at least Be A Player (a hockey card company) has mistakenly
given out two 1/1 cards as a show redemption.

But how is the Ramirez corked bat card a scandal? Maybe for the player in
question but why should Pacific had to have covered it up? The only scandal
there would be if it wasn't one of Manny's bats that it came from. Good luck
proving it though.

Ryan Cracknell July 16th 03 08:14 AM

"Chris Harris" wrote in message
http://msn.espn.go.com/sportsbusines...4/1580511.html

Chris Harris
www.stalegum.com

Welcome back, Chris. But I do have to mention that I hear the Demolition's
theme in the background. They're in for a tough title match this evening
with the Harts. Rumor has it the ole Ax and Smash might be dropping the
belts.

LARGE EYES July 16th 03 08:14 AM

This is such old news it isn't even funny.

ImSoExcitedImSoExcitedImsoSCARED July 16th 03 04:22 PM

From: "Dave C."
Date: 7/16/2003 12:03 AM Eastern Standard Time

It's "free publicity" because he is already being charged to sell the cards,
so there is no additional cost for publicizing his experience with Topps.

-Dave C.

gotcha.
-----------------

ImSoExcitedImSoExcitedImsoSCARED July 16th 03 04:23 PM

From: "Ryan Cracknell"
Date: 7/16/2003 3:14 AM Eastern Standard Time

"Chris Harris" wrote in message
http://msn.espn.go.com/sportsbusines...4/1580511.html

Chris Harris
www.stalegum.com

Welcome back, Chris. But I do have to mention that I hear the Demolition's
theme in the background. They're in for a tough title match this evening
with the Harts. Rumor has it the ole Ax and Smash might be dropping the
belts.

Rick Derringer is rolling over in his grave.