CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   When is a half a dollar? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=203617)

Bruce Remick January 31st 07 12:38 PM

When is a half a dollar?

"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message

"mrcoin" wrote in message
On on my way to the bank for a couple of rolls of halfs...

Michael R

I have had it happen more times than I care to remember, there is nothing
like having to explain that the coin is worth less than they think it is.

I think the most fun I had was a few years ago, I spent a half, an Ike, a
SBA and Sackie buck in the same transaction.

It's mean people like you who exacerbate the stress problems of our young
people today. Everyone knows that ancient coins are no longer meant to be
spent. ; )

Bruce

[email protected] January 31st 07 04:12 PM

When is a half a dollar?

When you try Jewel's or Pete's.

Never really had halves confused for a dollar but within the last week
I had a clerk at Jewel's (late 50's?) and a clerk at Pete's (late
20's?) think half dollars were dollars. Asked why I was overpaying
LOL. Explained the situation to them ;0)

Paul Anderson January 31st 07 04:21 PM

When is a half a dollar?

In article .com,
wrote:

Never really had halves confused for a dollar but within the last
week I had a clerk at Jewel's (late 50's?) and a clerk at Pete's
(late 20's?) think half dollars were dollars. Asked why I was
overpaying LOL. Explained the situation to them ;0)

I often have a clerk try to give me 50¢ back in change when I've spent a
half dollar along with dollar coins for my purchase. I guess they
assume any coin bigger than a quarter must be a dollar.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering

Eric Babula January 31st 07 05:30 PM

When is a half a dollar?

Paul Anderson wrote in
:

In article .com,
wrote:

Never really had halves confused for a dollar but within the last
week I had a clerk at Jewel's (late 50's?) and a clerk at Pete's
(late 20's?) think half dollars were dollars. Asked why I was
overpaying LOL. Explained the situation to them ;0)

I often have a clerk try to give me 50¢ back in change when I've
spent a half dollar along with dollar coins for my purchase. I
guess they assume any coin bigger than a quarter must be a dollar.

Paul

Hey! That sounds like a good money-making scheme.

Time to write a book!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Jass January 31st 07 07:32 PM

When is a half a dollar?

Ive noticed it to. If I give a half-dollar for a x.46 cent purchase, I
usually get back 2 quarters and a 5cent.

I could make lots of profit, but the honest side of me corrects them.

Most of the time anyway. One time I was given back a canadian quarter
in change, and kept it, since it was worthless anyway (in the US of
course)

mrcoin January 31st 07 08:28 PM

When is a half a dollar?

On Jan 31, 11:30 am, Eric Babula wrote:
Paul Anderson wrote :

In article .com,
wrote:

Never really had halves confused for a dollar but within the last
week I had a clerk at Jewel's (late 50's?) and a clerk at Pete's
(late 20's?) think half dollars were dollars. Asked why I was
overpaying LOL. Explained the situation to them ;0)

I often have a clerk try to give me 50¢ back in change when I've
spent a half dollar along with dollar coins for my purchase. I
guess they assume any coin bigger than a quarter must be a dollar.

Paul

Hey! That sounds like a good money-making scheme.

Time to write a book!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

On on my way to the bank for a couple of rolls of halfs...

Michael R
ANA #173222
mrae7 Ebay/Yahoo

PC February 2nd 07 02:08 AM

When is a half a dollar?

"Jass" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ive noticed it to. If I give a half-dollar for a x.46 cent purchase, I
usually get back 2 quarters and a 5cent.

I could make lots of profit, but the honest side of me corrects them.

Most of the time anyway. One time I was given back a canadian quarter
in change, and kept it, since it was worthless anyway (in the US of
course)

Actually canadian quarters are usually worth 25 cents in the US. ;-)

Jass February 2nd 07 03:38 AM

When is a half a dollar?

On Feb 1, 9:08 pm, "PC" wrote:
"Jass" wrote in message

ups.com...

Ive noticed it to. If I give a half-dollar for a x.46 cent purchase, I
usually get back 2 quarters and a 5cent.

I could make lots of profit, but the honest side of me corrects them.

Most of the time anyway. One time I was given back a canadian quarter
in change, and kept it, since it was worthless anyway (in the US of
course)

Actually canadian quarters are usually worth 25 cents in the US. ;-)

Today at the washing machine I had no idea why it kept rejecting my
quarter. then I noticed the queen.

Im going to spend that ******* before it comes to annoy me again.
Probably in a transaction involving a half, so that the cashier is too
busy focusing on kennedy to notice the queen.

Jud February 2nd 07 03:58 AM

When is a half a dollar?

The last Canadian quarter I got in change was silver. HAHAHAHA!
Thought they
were gonna pass it off on me, well, keep them coming!