CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Another pricing question.... (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17858)

Jbrodie1750 March 13th 04 04:16 PM

Another pricing question....

I want to sell a book that has a fairly obnoxious "remainder" mark. The only
other copy of this book for sale on ABE, in similar condition but with no
remainder mark, is going for $95.00. Using the ABE listing as a price guide
(and I'm really starting to wonder if that is a sensible thing to do....but
that is another subject) how much should I ask for my book?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jonathan

Art Layton March 14th 04 01:26 PM

(Jbrodie1750) wrote in message ...
I want to sell a book that has a fairly obnoxious "remainder" mark. The only
other copy of this book for sale on ABE, in similar condition but with no
remainder mark, is going for $95.00. Using the ABE listing as a price guide
(and I'm really starting to wonder if that is a sensible thing to do....but
that is another subject) how much should I ask for my book?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jonathan

If you are selling on an auction site, why not start at $5? Of course
you will completely describe the condition of the book and show a scan
of the remainder mark. You can always put a reserve price on the sale.

Art Layton
Stamford CT

Jbrodie1750 March 14th 04 02:39 PM

If you are selling on an auction site, why not start at $5? Of course
you will completely describe the condition of the book and show a scan
of the remainder mark. You can always put a reserve price on the sale.

Good advice. An auction is the best way to find out how much a book is worth.
The more I try to use ABE as a pricing tool, the more I think that many ABE
sellers (myself included!) are far too optimistic about the value of their
books.

Jonathan