CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   (RCSD) Netherlands Scott #43 postmarked 1887 (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=238871)

Joshua McGee January 5th 08 05:26 AM

(RCSD) Netherlands Scott #43 postmarked 1887

Hi,

Can anyone help with this? I have what appear to be two Princess Wilhelmina
stamps of the 1894 issue that are postmarked in 1887. They are cancelled
exactly a week apart in the same city. The 8s do not appear to be modified
9s.

Image: http://www.mcgees.org/img/netherlands43.jpeg

Do people think these are authentic, and, if so, is there any premium to
them?

Regards,

Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org

Joshua McGee January 5th 08 05:47 AM

(RCSD) Netherlands Scott #43 postmarked 1887

The image link is now fixed.

Sorry for the double-post, new news program.

- Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org

Jay T. Carrigan January 5th 08 01:55 PM

(RCSD) Netherlands Scott #43 postmarked 1887

To me, both appear to be '97' with overinked 9's. Note
that while there is an indentation on the left side of
the figure, the right side is perfectly straight. Also,
if they were 8's, the top circle should be smaller than
the bottom one. Here it's the opposite.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article , says...

A. van Reenen January 5th 08 05:37 PM

(RCSD) Netherlands Scott #43 postmarked 1887

I agree to Jay Carrigan's comment. To support it further: the type of cancel
used on both stamps was issued to Rotterdam on August 31, 1895.

Ton

hvschaik January 5th 08 05:44 PM

(RCSD) Netherlands Scott #43 postmarked 1887

This stamp was issued first in 1891 ! Dutch Catalogue NVPH # 37
So 1887 is impossible!
Regards,
Hans

Rodney January 5th 08 11:16 PM

(RCSD) Netherlands Scott #43 postmarked 1887

Hans,
I took it that the OP knew this,
but sought opinions as to their being genuine cancels.
and not engineered.

Joshua McGee January 6th 08 02:06 AM

(RCSD) Netherlands Scott #43 postmarked 1887

Thanks, Rodney. I thought there were three possibilities:

1) Wrong decade slug in the cancellation die
2) Forged cancel
3) Over-inking leading to a '9' appearing as an '8'

Ton's comment, while fascinating, does not necessarily rule out any of the
possibilities. But upon advice, I examined the 8 in the '18" to see how a
proper '8' appears in the slug font. And I think it's pretty clear it's
option 3 above.

Thanks, everyone.

- Joshua McGee

Rodney January 6th 08 03:02 AM

(RCSD) Netherlands Scott #43 postmarked 1887

"Joshua McGee"
And I think it's pretty clear it's option 3 above.

That was my opinion too,
it is still quirky that you have two, just a few days apart
and even having being struck at a similar jaunty angle. :)