September 18th 03 10:28 AM

George V Seahorse query

Does anybody know how to tell the difference between the 1913 waterlow 2/6 (SG 399/4000, Scott 173) & the 1915 De La Rue 2/6 (SG 405-408, Scott 173a).

David F. September 18th 03 04:48 PM

Does anybody know how to tell the difference between the 1913 waterlow 2/6 (SG 399/4000, Scott
173) & the 1915 De La Rue 2/6 (SG 405-408, Scott 173a).

There is a more expert collector of these stamps than
I am, on this NG, but I'll have a go....

DeLaRue stamps generally have smaller perforation holes
than the other printers, and have one larger hole at the top
of each vertical side. The Gum appears more 'yellowish'
and is a little patchy in appearance - also the colour of the
stamp can usually be seen through the back of the paper!

Hope this may help,

David.

J. A. Mc. September 20th 03 07:31 PM

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:48:53 +0100, "David F."
found these unused words floating about:

Does anybody know how to tell the difference between the 1913 waterlow 2/6 (SG 399/4000, Scott
173) & the 1915 De La Rue 2/6 (SG 405-408, Scott 173a).

There is a more expert collector of these stamps than
I am, on this NG, but I'll have a go....

DeLaRue stamps generally have smaller perforation holes
than the other printers, and have one larger hole at the top
of each vertical side. The Gum appears more 'yellowish'
and is a little patchy in appearance - also the colour of the
stamp can usually be seen through the back of the paper!

Hope this may help,

David.

The top tooth on the Waterlows is usally about 2/3rds the size of the
others along the side (it could be almost a "1/2 tooth" in some),
while the DLR (having a slightly smaller gauge as well as smaller
holes) has about a 20% larger tooth at the top than the others.

David F. September 21st 03 02:24 PM

[...]

In other words - it's time to get the Micrometer out!!

David.

J. A. Mc. September 21st 03 11:30 PM

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:24:18 +0100, "David F."
[...]

NOT necessary - the tooth difference is very visible. Perhaps I should
consider addind this to a list of plans for "Issue ID" on my site.

As for the perf gauges - if you use the "Instanta" gauge, it's
measurable.

David F. September 22nd 03 02:49 PM

The top tooth on the Waterlows is usally about 2/3rds the size of the
others along the side (it could be almost a "1/2 tooth" in some),
while the DLR (having a slightly smaller gauge as well as smaller
holes) has about a 20% larger tooth at the top than the others.

In other words - it's time to get the Micrometer out!!

NOT necessary - the tooth difference is very visible. Perhaps I should
consider addind this to a list of plans for "Issue ID" on my site.

As for the perf gauges - if you use the "Instanta" gauge, it's
measurable.

I think this is definitely a candidate for the "to do" list!

David.