CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Cute stunt (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=322863)

[email protected] April 25th 14 03:48 AM

Cute stunt

A dealer has listed a signed copy of Derek Jacobi's new autobiography on both eBay and ABEbooks. The text and photos clearly show it to be the identical book, offered by the same seller.

There won't be a U.S. edition of this title. HarperCollins slapped a new barcode sticker on some third and fourth printings and shipped them over here.. I don't see collectors buying these--and who else is buying hardcovers nowadays?--so they'll be remaindered eventually.

With two bids as of 10:30 Thursday night, the eBay price is $45.32 USD. On ABE, he's asking $60.49. I guess if the bidding goes higher than that, he will pull the book from ABE. If by some wild chance, no-one bids any more, will he have to let it go at $45?

Francis A. Miniter[_2_] April 26th 14 04:26 PM

Cute stunt

On 4/24/2014 10:48 PM, wrote:
A dealer has listed a signed copy of Derek Jacobi's new autobiography on both eBay
and ABEbooks. The text and photos clearly show it to be the identical book, offered
by the same seller.

There won't be a U.S. edition of this title. HarperCollins slapped a new barcode
sticker on some third and fourth printings and shipped them over here. I don't see
collectors buying these--and who else is buying hardcovers nowadays?--so they'll be
remaindered eventually.

With two bids as of 10:30 Thursday night, the eBay price is $45.32 USD. On ABE,
he's asking $60.49. I guess if the bidding goes higher than that, he will pull the
book from ABE. If by some wild chance, no-one bids any more, will he have to let it
go at $45?

If he did not place a reserve on the bidding (and that would have to be
in the eBay notice), then he would have to accept the winning bid.

Francis A. Miniter

[email protected] April 26th 14 05:07 PM

Cute stunt

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 11:26:04 AM UTC-4, Francis A. Miniter wrote:

If he did not place a reserve on the bidding (and that would have to be
in the eBay notice), then he would have to accept the winning bid.

That's my understanding, too. I'm "watching" this one... g

[email protected] April 29th 14 12:43 AM

Cute stunt

The auction ended early this morning, with a winning bid of about $51. This evening, the ABE listing is gone.