CollectingBanter

-   Pens & Pencils (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Rotring Core discontinued and replaced by Rotring Skin (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=120444)

Nancy Handy March 13th 05 04:21 AM

Rotring Core discontinued and replaced by Rotring Skin

At Kate's Paperie today, the pen counter salesperson told me that the
Rotring Core was discontinued. I saw the Rotring Skin - it's ugly (even
uglier than the Core) and has the Sensa-type grip, but it writes well.
I don't recall what the Rotring Core cost, but the Rotring Skin retails
at about $20. I didn't buy one.

Like the Core, the Skin is a pen that you either love or you hate.

I also tried the new Mont Blanc LE love letters ink. It's a reddish
black and rather nice but it's a small bottle and I think it retailed at
about $14.

Nancy

David March 13th 05 06:40 PM

Nancy:

You can still pick up a Core for about $15 to $20 today. Try Swisher's

I love rOtring pens, but the Skynn leaves me cold. A lot of US
distributors just aren't handling them. They look as if they would be
a pain to try to stuff into a shirt pocket. And the cap looks as if it
would be very easy to lose.

I don't know what's up with rOtring. They no longer make the 600 /
Newton or the Core. To my knowledge they still make the Freeway and
I'm not sure about the Initial, which I think is a great pen and a good
value. The Skynn looks like a student pen. I'm thinking Sanford wants
their Parker and Waterman brands to be the primary fountain pen makers.

David

Nancy Handy March 13th 05 07:00 PM

David wrote:

I love rOtring pens, but the Skynn leaves me cold.
The Skynn looks like a student pen. I'm thinking Sanford wants
their Parker and Waterman brands to be the primary fountain pen makers.

Okay, gotcha - it's Skynn, not Skin. Good! The Skin spelling was kind
of creepy.

I still think the Core is funky ugly and the Skynn is uninspired and
boring. I like to think of the 600 series metal pens when I think of
Rotring.

Nancy