CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Common Mistakes for Stamp Collectors to Avoid -article (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=320788)

Sir F.A. Rien April 10th 12 04:01 PM

Common Mistakes for Stamp Collectors to Avoid -article

Took me three 'collections' before I 'found' the GB LE period and its
complexities.

Good hunting!

Excuse my ignorance. What does LE stands for?

"Line Engraved" One of the three major methods for producing stamps.
In particular, they concern the Penny Blacks, Reds, Tuppenny Blues and
the 1/2d and 1 1/2 d produced by Perkins Bacon up to 1870.

Pedro April 10th 12 08:59 PM

Common Mistakes for Stamp Collectors to Avoid -article

rec.collecting.stamps.discuss Subject: Common Mistakes for Stamp
Collectors to Avoid -article

Took me three 'collections' before I 'found' the GB LE period and its
complexities.

Good hunting!

Excuse my ignorance. What does LE stands for?

"Line Engraved" One of the three major methods for producing stamps.
In particular, they concern the Penny Blacks, Reds, Tuppenny Blues and
the 1/2d and 1 1/2 d produced by Perkins Bacon up to 1870.

I personally love stamps produced by engraving methods. I suppose that the
only way to collect QE LE stamps is acquiring them in auctions or
stamp-shops as they must be very valuable. Correct me if I'm thinking wrong
that stamp collectors do not usually exchange that type of stamps.

regards,
Pedro

Sir F.A. Rien April 11th 12 04:15 PM

Common Mistakes for Stamp Collectors to Avoid -article

I personally love stamps produced by engraving methods. I suppose that the
only way to collect QE LE stamps is acquiring them in auctions or
stamp-shops as they must be very valuable. Correct me if I'm thinking wrong
that stamp collectors do not usually exchange that type of stamps.

The basic 'Penny Red' imperf [1844 type cancel] can be bought on eBay
for about US$2-5 unplated. Often there are lots of 10 or more for
US$12-20. Those with the Maltese Cross Cancel do go a bit higher.

With these imperfs, margins are all important. If the design is 'cut
into' or even touched, the value drops. Typical VF margins are 1/16"
around.

The later perforated 'stars' are less pricy - and can be bought in
groups for UD$5-10.

Enter [ penny 1d red ] into eBay's search, selecting "Stamps"
category.

The last grouping ot the Penny Red [letters in four corners] are even
more available and les expensive. You can find the plate number in the
side 'spandrel' or border.

I suppose traders might exchange, though with the these, the postage
would outweigh the stamp value if done in singles.

Pedro April 12th 12 02:22 PM

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message

[...]

I find yor answer very interesting . There are still a lot of things one
have to learn.

Thanks,
Pedro