CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Spain~Franking stamps for Senators and deputies. (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=273239)

rodney May 27th 09 03:00 PM

Spain~Franking stamps for Senators and deputies.

Another fine author..............

http://cjoint.com/data/fBp7aPU3bW.htm

Printed in Bradbury, Wilkinson & Co., London. Issued 4/2/1916

(450.000 sets of 8 stamps each); Spanish writer Miguel de Cervantes
Saavedra.

They commemorate his death's 3rd centennial. Issued as franking stamps for
national senators and deputies,

they were not in use, as both the Spanish Assemblies had currently the
benefit of no charge mailing.

Thanks to Antonio Gimeno

Blair[_2_] May 27th 09 03:10 PM

On May 27, 10:00*am, "rodney" wrote:
Another fine author..............

http://cjoint.com/data/fBp7aPU3bW.htm

Printed in Bradbury, Wilkinson & Co., London. Issued 4/2/1916

(450.000 sets of 8 stamps each); Spanish writer Miguel de Cervantes
Saavedra.

They commemorate his death's 3rd centennial. Issued as franking stamps for
national senators and deputies,

they were not in use, as both the Spanish Assemblies had currently the
benefit of no charge mailing.

Thanks to Antonio Gimeno

Rod:

Is this a free frank label for deputies' mail
or just a commemorative sticker?

Blair

rodney May 27th 09 03:21 PM

Spain~Franking stamps for Senators and deputies.

I dug it out a phossick box this evening Blair,
I have never seen one before,
The response was from here (with two others in the set)
http://www.pagowirense.nl/stamps/sta-myst.asp?id=1
I took it as "unissued"
but welcome any other advice.

"Blair"

Blair[_2_] May 27th 09 09:48 PM

On May 27, 10:10*am, Blair wrote:
On May 27, 10:00*am, "rodney" wrote:

Another fine author..............

http://cjoint.com/data/fBp7aPU3bW.htm

Printed in Bradbury, Wilkinson & Co., London. Issued 4/2/1916

(450.000 sets of 8 stamps each); Spanish writer Miguel de Cervantes
Saavedra.

They commemorate his death's 3rd centennial. Issued as franking stamps for
national senators and deputies,

they were not in use, as both the Spanish Assemblies had currently the
benefit of no charge mailing.

Thanks to Antonio Gimeno

Rod:

Is this a free frank label for deputies' mail
or just a commemorative sticker?

Blair

Looks like they were Official mail stamps (Scott # O12-O19)
Spain 1916 Cervantes Officials (Scott O12-19) FDC, 22 April 1916.

Full set on FDC.
http://www.cjauctions.com/ebayimages/st3226.jpg

Full mint set
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imag...inO12-19mh.jpg
http://images.delcampe.com/img_large...28/959_001.jpg

Full mint set inverted centers
http://i.ebayimg.com/03/!BQErjcQBWk~$(KGrHgoH-CQEkJwwr(3WBJ26F9e2Kg~~_1.JPG

Blair

rodney May 28th 09 12:50 AM

Spain~Franking stamps for Senators and deputies.

Marvelous Blair :)
Something does not ring true,
when a company as Bradbury Wilkinson
would have an entire set printed with inverted centres.
Not exactly good advertising for the company, what?

Pedro June 4th 09 01:10 AM

Spain~Franking stamps for Senators and deputies.

Hello,

As Blair correctly points out they were a private issue for use in the
Congress and Senate.

Here are mine. I have one left to complete the set.

http://cjoint.com/?gecjGpbtY2

Pedro

Rodney June 4th 09 01:33 AM

Spain~Franking stamps for Senators and deputies.

Very nice Pedro,
they are a particularly well designed set.
Good luck with the last one in the set.

I do not understand "private issue" there must be another philatelic
description
other than this surely.
"officials"?

Pedro June 4th 09 05:26 AM

Spain~Franking stamps for Senators and deputies.

Well, the Edifil Spanish catalog defines it literally as a "private issue".
I think that what they try to say is that it was intended for use only
inside the Congress/Senate and not by the rest of citizens in the postal
offices. Not available to general public. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Pedro

Blair[_2_] June 4th 09 05:36 AM

"rodney" wrote in message
I dug it out a phossick box this evening Blair,
I have never seen one before,
The response was from here (with two others in the set)
http://www.pagowirense.nl/stamps/sta-myst.asp?id=1
I took it as "unissued"
but welcome any other advice.

"Blair"
Is this a free frank label for deputies' mail
or just a commemorative sticker?

Blair

Correct in theory.

However, I have seen a full set on a First Day Cover
(along with a normal stamp to pay postage)

The point is that the series is nice, but was not necessary,
since Deputies and Senators had a FREE FRANK
for their mail. (No stamp needed)

Blair