CollectingBanter

-   Autographs (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   a growing trend (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=253712)

[email protected] July 29th 08 06:23 AM

a growing trend

is it just me, or are book signings becoming worse and worse...
tonight, me and my girlfriend went to a Randy Couture signing at the
virgin megastore.
the line was embarrassingly short, like less than 30 people anyway,
but we get to the front and there was a person taking the books away
from us to put the right page on, and then telling us that we couldn't
get anything else signed other than the book..
the guy was scheduled for a 2 hour appearance and he didn't even need
to be there for over a half an hour.
me and my girlfriend only had 2 photos each on top of the book. that's
not too much (i know that sometimes it is, but there were less than 30
people there..)
the lady said "the publisher doesn't want him signing anything else,
sorry."
if it wasn't for randy guaranteeing that if i send the stuff to his
gym, i'd have been ****ed...
i'm still of the whole "there was no one there" we were literally last
in line at 30 (and i'm really not sure about that one either, i think
it was less than that).

just like the oscar de la hoya signings where they had a LIST of what
you could and couldn't do..1) no photos of oscar, 2) nothing other
than the book etc...we had to get him in the parking lot after the
signings. and a tito ortiz signing where the ladies were saying no
memorabilia and then tito said it was fine, and they gave tito grief
about signing memorabilia (there was no one in his lines either)..

so what is up with this, with the exception of oscar (who had huge
lines) these people should be happy to sign other stuff...do these
people really need to bow down to the publisher and not sign anything
else? i already ante'd up the money for the books (and in most cases
more than one, i have no problem with the whole "i buy your book, you
sign my stuff," rule.) but now they are taking away that one WITH NO
ONE IN YOUR LINE!!!
i say stop it, if your line is this small with a book signing, it
won't be longer if you try to do shows for pay. you should sign my
stuff (unless i'm way to greedy, but last time i checked, none of
these people's autougraphs are selling on ebay either)...
i don't want your stupid book...in a 2 hour wait, i saw 3 people START
and FINISH the oscar de la hoya book...these books are remedial
reading at best...don't insult my intelligence by expecting me to only
get an unreadable book signed...let me get my stuff signed, it's not
too much to ask...your autograph is not valuable in any way...and i'd
much rather have the signed photo than a book that i would never drop
my smarts level to read.
and publishers should be aware of that...i bought the book
already..you got your money...grow the heck up!!!
mike
p.s. does anyone know where couture's gym is?

Gummby3[_2_] July 29th 08 07:16 AM

a growing trend

That is just stupid. It's pretty bad when the handlers have an
attitude and the celeb doesn't... I did a quick search and I assume
this is his gym.

http://www.xtremecouture.tv/contactus.asp

--

Mike
Gummby3

Sue H July 29th 08 04:16 PM

a growing trend

I agree to a point. I think even if the list is medium, at least you
should be allowed to either snap a photo WIth THEM, or perhaps have an
extra item signed. The reason the publisher doesn't want them to sign
anything else is they don't make money off the book and also, if more
things are on the market (let's face it, one or the other will
probably be on Ebay), then nobody will come to the signings and buy
more books.

HOWEVER; what is wrong with one item signed in addition to buying the
book? Even make it dedicated if you're worried about someone selling
it. Most people do NOT go to these signings BECAUSE they have to BUY
the expensive book (that next year will be in the dollar store). But
if you allow them to take a photo with the celeb and/or get an extra
item signed as long as they buy the book, more will come.

I can see scaling back with HUGE names. Brad Pitt or something. The
line would be insane. But 95% of the hollywood/sports people? Nah,
they should allow it.

Also note, the celeb can usually override ANYTHING. Sometimes a
contract could be struck that the celeb agrees to abide by all the
rules the publisher's set forth or fear of loss of future publications
or printings maybe; so sometimes it's not the celeb. But that's a
rare thing.

Sue H July 29th 08 04:22 PM

a growing trend

If there's only 30 people and that's done in less than 10 minutes, why
not let them sign what you have... more people will wonder what's
going on and come in perhaps.

Oh, on the reason why only 30 people, I noticed the ads and promotions
are practically nil around here for authors and sports. I sometimes
walk in on signings and had no clue about them and I am one to look
for them! WHY they don't publicize is beyond me.

Lee Cochenour July 30th 08 02:00 AM

a growing trend

Sue,
As a veteran of hundreds of booksignings both as a bookstore employee
and customer, let me say this. The rules are almost always set by the
celebrity themsleves. They will tell the publisher's rep and/or bookstore
what they will and won't sign and then hide behind the rules they have set.
The bookstore has to enforce the rules so they look like the bad guys and
the celebrities just say that their hands are tied. Having said that, I have
only run into a few celebrities that wouldn't break their own rules,
especially if they had a low turn out for an event.

Lee
Check out the Celebrity Book Signings Site at:
http://www.geocities.com/leecoke/

Sue H July 30th 08 03:58 AM

a growing trend

Well, that makes sense (the celeb looks good while the bookstore looks
bad); really the celeb does have the power, as their the ones doing
the writing and basically the publisher works and makes money off
them!

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:00:23 -0500, "Lee Cochenour"
wrote:

Sue,
As a veteran of hundreds of booksignings both as a bookstore employee
and customer, let me say this. The rules are almost always set by the
celebrity themsleves. They will tell the publisher's rep and/or bookstore
what they will and won't sign and then hide behind the rules they have set.
The bookstore has to enforce the rules so they look like the bad guys and
the celebrities just say that their hands are tied. Having said that, I have
only run into a few celebrities that wouldn't break their own rules,
especially if they had a low turn out for an event.

Lee
Check out the Celebrity Book Signings Site at:
http://www.geocities.com/leecoke/

.. .

chip1057 July 30th 08 02:22 PM

a growing trend

Many years ago, John Grisham was signing "The Client" at a particular
bookstore
here. We all had to get there early. Then we had to get in line for
a number. I think I was 49. By the time,
I left, there was a large crowd waiting.

I did not see Grisham sign anything but "The Client". I had wanted a
signed card, too, which I brought just in case,
but decided on just the book.

It depends on the promotoers and the authors I guess.

Chip
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/autographdc

[email protected] July 30th 08 06:10 PM

a growing trend

i agree on most points (almost all of them)...
but in THIS CASE, the author didn't care, wanted to sign the stuff,
took the stuff from us to sign, and the publisher lady took it away
saying "no memorabilia!" and he told me to send the stuff to the gym
and he'd take care of me.

the stars do usually go through and make a list of requests about what
to sign and all. but they are usually posted or flyers are handed out
(in the signings around here anyway).

in the case of gene wilder, he ASKED to be allowed to sign
memorabilia, and later in the signing, the bookstore relented and let
him sign memorabilia as long as everyone bought the book.

but in this case, there were THIRTY people. there really wasn't anyone
behind us (about 6 people)...and i still think that i'm on the high
end when saying 30 people. he was really nice, took pictures with
everyone who wanted one etc.

i know we are just full of opinions, but if they had told everyone he
wasn't signing memorabilia, no one would have come (well, there were
some hard core fans taking video and pictures of the whole
thing)...but almost everyone had like 1 fight poster or whatever. i
didn't even have much stuff myself (he doesn't sell at all, and i
would have liked to have a photo for myself at least...i don't collect
books!)

meanwhile corey haim and his wife did a signing the next night at the
same virgin megastore and they signed whatever you wanted so long as
you bought the dvd! go figure, corey does signings for money.

KC August 2nd 08 01:48 AM

a growing trend

Yikes, that seems too stupid.
I have ran into that with some of my stuff, at a Bret Hart book signing,
"ONLY THE BOOK" I had that 20 year old program, yah he signed it. Then at
the Mike Babcock signing, only 1 thing, I tried to give him a song and dance
to get something else signed, he said just give me the puck. Depends on the
people I guess.