CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Penny's-what to keep (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=32174)

Steve M March 11th 04 12:34 PM

Penny's-what to keep

I started gathering all the "piggy-banks" in the house yesterday to
roll all the penny's to take to the bank but then started wondering
about which one's to keep. I will keep any dated prior to 1982 but am
wondering are there others that I should keep as well? Looking thru a
couple of handfuls they are dated in the 60's 70's 80's and 90's. As
I'll be looking at every penny to determine if it's prior to 82, I
wonder what all you think I should be on the look out for? Or should
I even bother with the copper one's?

Stefano MacGregor March 11th 04 05:51 PM

Steve M wrote in message . ..

I started gathering all the "piggy-banks" in the house yesterday to
roll all the penny's to take to the bank but then started wondering
about which one's to keep.

Find something else to collect; if you can't spell "pennies", you
shouldn't mess with them.

Joe Fischer March 11th 04 06:47 PM

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:34:27 GMT, Steve M wrote:

I started gathering all the "piggy-banks" in the house yesterday to
roll all the penny's to take to the bank but then started wondering
about which one's to keep. I will keep any dated prior to 1982 but am
wondering are there others that I should keep as well? Looking thru a
couple of handfuls they are dated in the 60's 70's 80's and 90's. As
I'll be looking at every penny to determine if it's prior to 82, I
wonder what all you think I should be on the look out for? Or should
I even bother with the copper one's?

Not Cents unless they are BU gems. But Hot Wheel Trasure
Hunt sets sold by Penny's might be worth keeping.

Joe Fischer

cladking March 11th 04 06:56 PM

Steve M wrote in message . ..
I started gathering all the "piggy-banks" in the house yesterday to
roll all the penny's to take to the bank but then started wondering
about which one's to keep. I will keep any dated prior to 1982 but am
wondering are there others that I should keep as well? Looking thru a
couple of handfuls they are dated in the 60's 70's 80's and 90's. As
I'll be looking at every penny to determine if it's prior to 82, I
wonder what all you think I should be on the look out for? Or should
I even bother with the copper one's?

The copper ones are approaching a cents worth of copper in them but
the effort required and the discount at the refinery would give these
little chance for profit. Save all the varieties and all the higher
grade coins. While generally the only premium coins in such a lot
will be varieties, there will be little cost and a great education if
you start a collection in a Whitman folder. There are still some very
nice old cents in circulation and such a set can be quite attractive.
Don't forget to keep a look out for the '98 and '00 proof reverse
varieties. (these aren't listed in most guides yet)

Alan Williams March 11th 04 07:35 PM

"cladking" wrote in message
om...
Steve M wrote in message

. ..
[...]

Redbook lists all three, the 98, 99 and 00.

For myself, any copper cent grading EF and above, all errors, cuds,
misaligneds, OC's, all wheats, all small dates, all S mints, all Zincolns
with unusual toning or MS preservation, all type 2 reverses and any
counter-stamped cents get saved. I have (ahem) some volume of these now. I
do it because I like to, thank you.

Alan
'the price is right'

A.Gent March 12th 04 08:05 AM

"Alan Williams" wrote in message

For myself, any copper cent grading EF and above, all errors, cuds,
misaligneds, OC's, all wheats, all small dates, all S mints, all Zincolns
with unusual toning or MS preservation, all type 2 reverses and any
counter-stamped cents get saved. I have (ahem) some volume of these now. I
do it because I like to, thank you.

Alan
'the price is right'

....and anything else that looks "interesting."

Alan, do you have a separate room in Chez Williams to store your "orphanage"?
Do you sit in it and toss coppers over your head, Scrooge-McDuck-style?
Dive and swim in them?

I have a vision of that that I cannot shake.

Jeff.

Randy Thompson March 12th 04 04:58 PM

Steve M wrote in message . ..
I started gathering all the "piggy-banks" in the house yesterday to
roll all the penny's to take to the bank but then started wondering
about which one's to keep. I will keep any dated prior to 1982 but am
wondering are there others that I should keep as well? Looking thru a
couple of handfuls they are dated in the 60's 70's 80's and 90's. As
I'll be looking at every penny to determine if it's prior to 82, I
wonder what all you think I should be on the look out for? Or should
I even bother with the copper one's?

I just found out about a soon to be published book that could be very
useful to the ones in this group who pour through hoards of Lincolns.
Check it out at http://www.coppercoins.com. I just ordered one
myself. If you pre-order you get free shipping when it is ready
sometime next month.

Joe Fischer March 12th 04 06:35 PM

On 12 Mar (Randy Thompson) wrote:

I just found out about a soon to be published book that could be very
useful to the ones in this group who pour through hoards of Lincolns.
Check it out at http://www.coppercoins.com. I just ordered one
myself. If you pre-order you get free shipping when it is ready
sometime next month.

Thanks for posting that.

I just bought some BU rolls and went through them and found
this 1969s bad planchet.

http://www.joefischer.web.iglou.com/cents/69sbadpa.jpg

http://www.joefischer.web.iglou.com/cents/69sbadp2.jpg

At first I though it had to be a cast cent, but with
a 30X loupe it presents evidence of the planchet going
through the upset mill.

Probably unique, and interesting, but worthless. :-)

Joe Fischer

Alan & Erin Williams March 13th 04 06:03 AM

"A.Gent" wrote:

"Alan Williams" wrote in message

For myself, any copper cent grading EF and above, all errors, cuds,
misaligneds, OC's, all wheats, all small dates, all S mints, all Zincolns
with unusual toning or MS preservation, all type 2 reverses and any
counter-stamped cents get saved. I have (ahem) some volume of these now. I
do it because I like to, thank you.

Alan
'the price is right'

...and anything else that looks "interesting."

Alan, do you have a separate room in Chez Williams to store your "orphanage"?
Do you sit in it and toss coppers over your head, Scrooge-McDuck-style?
Dive and swim in them?

I have a vision of that that I cannot shake.

Jeff.

It's the oubliette of small cents. ;-)

Pnuematic tube to an underground 1200 gallon polypropylene water tank.

Alan
'a blip on a geomagnetic map'

A.Gent March 13th 04 07:01 AM

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message

'a blip on a geomagnetic map'

A "blip" !?

More like a major geomagnetic anomaly.

It'll drive the archaeologists of 2204 nuts!

J.