CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   17th century collection (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17270)

John Yamamoto-Wilson October 3rd 03 06:33 AM

17th century collection

I'm working on an update of my collection of (mostly) 17th century material
about those who suffered for their beliefs during and after the Reformation.

Comments on the contents are very welcome, of course, but there are only
half a dozen or so additions since the last time I mentioned it here, and
what I'm mainly inerested in is the web design. I'm compressing image files
using Adobe Photoshop, as people suggested before, and I took up Denise
Enck's suggestion to edit the pages using Macromedia Contribute
(http://tinyurl.com/pjoe) and have found it works pretty well, apart from
eating up a large amount of memory and slowing my system down (or even,
occasionally, crashing it).

I'm slowly deleting the old Microsoft Publisher html from my web pages, and
building them up again using Contribute, and these pages are the first
complete set. It all looks fine on my system, but I'd welcome comments from
others, partly because tastes differ, but also because what looks fine on my
(Japanese) system doesn't always come out right on other people's systems.

The other thing is that I changed the URLs of the pages; Publisher assigned
each page a URL (page 1, page 2, etc.), which was pretty inflexible for a
site that grows organically (I don't know whether the next addition will be
from Henry VIII's time or from the late 17th century, or from anywhere else
in between). If anyone comes across any broken links, please let me know!

Thanks!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Denise Enck October 3rd 03 03:52 PM

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote:
[...]

Hi John,

Looks fine to me. The page looks the same in IE6, Netscape 7.1, Opera 7.0
using Windows XP. If you'd like to see screen shots just let me know.

I just ran your site through the link checker; the link to see results is
below. It will take a while (several minutes!) for the results to display
(it will check all the pages on your entire site again).
http://validator.w3.org/checklink?ur...50&check=Check

There are a few broken links; they're indicated in red. But, before deleting
these from your site, double-check that they are really dead; there will
usually be a few that are okay though marked in red. (This is due to the
fact that the site's server may not have responded as quickly as the link
checker expected it to, causing the link checker to give up.)

Just email me (denise at quantawebdesign.com) if there's anything
else I can help with.

cheers ~
Denise

John Yamamoto-Wilson October 4th 03 03:03 AM

Thanks, Denise. You're a treasure.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Denise Enck October 4th 03 06:54 PM

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in
message ...
Thanks, Denise. You're a treasure.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

glad to help. always feel free to give me a holler with website-related
questions ~

cheers ~
Denise

--
Empty Mirror Books & Distribution www.emptymirrorbooks.com
specializing in modern poetry, the Beat Generation, & the work of Michael

Denise Enck - Quanta Webdesign www.quantawebdesign.com
websites for organizations, individuals, & the arts