CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   T.H.Huxley Handwriting (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=18109)

Diane June 8th 04 02:39 PM

T.H.Huxley Handwriting

I see know one could help me with the rare horror book. Can anyone do better
with this one. I'm looking for a website that has some examples of Professor
T.H. Huxley's handwriting. Any help would be much appreciated.

Diane
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AAA-World-of-Books

Art Layton June 8th 04 06:58 PM

"Diane" wrote in message ...
I see know one could help me with the rare horror book. Can anyone do better
with this one. I'm looking for a website that has some examples of Professor
T.H. Huxley's handwriting. Any help would be much appreciated.

Diane
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AAA-World-of-Books

Sorry; I can get examples of Aldous and Julian, but no T.H.

Art Layton
Stamford CT

Diane June 9th 04 08:32 AM

"Art Layton" wrote in message
om...
"Diane" wrote in message

I see know one could help me with the rare horror book. Can anyone do

better
with this one. I'm looking for a website that has some examples of

Professor
T.H. Huxley's handwriting. Any help would be much appreciated.

Diane
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AAA-World-of-Books

Sorry; I can get examples of Aldous and Julian, but no T.H.

Art Layton
Stamford CT

Thanks for trying Art, much appreciated.

Diane

Jerry Morris June 10th 04 07:01 PM

(Diane) wrote:
I see know one could help me with the rare horror book. Can anyone do
better with this one. I'm looking for a website that has some examples
of Professor T.H. Huxley's handwriting. Any help would be much
appreciated.

.................................................. ....

Diane,

I can point you in the right direction concerning a website for T.H.
Huxley's autograph; but first let me give you some info on your horror
book.

You wrote...It Walks the Woods" by Alan Grant, It was published in 1936
by Ivor Nicholson and Watson. I'ts a horror story set in England. The
dust jacket write up states that this is the authors first book, and
that this terrifying tale should place the author into the mantle left
behind by the untimely death of Edgar Wallace.

I found two references that say Alan Grant is not a real person, but
rather a pseudonym. Anonyma and Pseudonyma, London,1927, says Alan
Grant is the pseudonym for Arthur Douglas Howden Smith (1887-1945), aka
Arthur D. Howden-Smith. I could find nothing to verify this
information, however. Howden Smith wrote several science fiction
stories, including Grey Maiden, 1929, but SF was not his usual genre.

While searching for a link between Howden Smith and Alan Grant, I
discovered the second pseudonym. Geometry.Net says that Alan Grant is
the pseudonym for Gerald Clarke, author of the science fiction story,
Fiction, published in 1941.

Now to point you in the right direction concerning T.H. Huxley's
autograph. I suggest you contact your fellow countryman John Wilson.
He should be able to assist you.

On his website,
www.manuscripts.co.uk John Wilson provides some
examples of forgeries, including one of T.H. Huxley's autograph. After
you get on his website, click on Forgeries. When you get to the
Forgeries page, click on Miscellaneous Forgeries, where you will see the
T.H Huxley forgery.

Cheers,
Jerry Morris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary and
moislibrary.com http://www.tinyurl.com/hisn

Diane June 10th 04 07:15 PM

"Jerry Morris" wrote in message
(Diane) wrote:
I see know one could help me with the rare horror book. Can anyone do
better with this one. I'm looking for a website that has some examples
of Professor T.H. Huxley's handwriting. Any help would be much
appreciated.

[...]

Thank you so much for all that superb info Jerry. One question, if the

signature is a forgery, how am I going to know if it looks like the real
thing?

Speak soon
Diane
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/aaaworldofbooks