CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fake trade dollar in a fake PCGS slab? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=39569)

stonej January 1st 05 03:38 PM

Fake trade dollar in a fake PCGS slab?

Seller is already NARU and a Hong Kong seller. Red flags everywhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

[email protected] January 1st 05 03:44 PM

stonej wrote:
Seller is already NARU and a Hong Kong seller. Red flags everywhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
I am a newbie to coin collecting..what does "NARU" mean?

Gary Loveless January 1st 05 04:10 PM

On 1 Jan 2005 07:44:19 -0800, wrote:

stonej wrote:
Seller is already NARU and a Hong Kong seller. Red flags everywhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
I am a newbie to coin collecting..what does "NARU" mean?

Welcome to the hobby, Hope you enjoy it!! NARU=Not A Registered User

Regards,

Gary Loveless

James Higby January 1st 05 05:12 PM

stonej wrote:
Seller is already NARU and a Hong Kong seller. Red flags everywhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
I am a newbie to coin collecting..what does "NARU" mean?

Welcome to the hobby, Hope you enjoy it!! NARU=Not A Registered User

Regards,

Gary Loveless

P.S. "Not a registered user" usually means that eBay has taken action to
close the registrant's account for one reason or another.

James

Wes Chormicle January 1st 05 06:03 PM

Not enough detail to say for sure. From the one picture of the reverse, it
is in FAR better condition then the cast coins coming out of China (I have a
few examples).

If I had to guess solely on the pictures, I'd say real. But, coming from
China, I'd stay away. On the other hand, if it is a fake coin and slab, I'd
REALLY like to see it up close.

Wes
"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
Seller is already NARU and a Hong Kong seller. Red flags everywhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

---

Dave Welsh January 1st 05 06:09 PM

How common are fake slabs?

Is this becoming a significant problem, or are fake slabs easily detected?

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com

oups.com...

DFloyd January 1st 05 07:21 PM

"stonej" wrote in
oups.com:

Seller is already NARU and a Hong Kong seller. Red flags everywhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...908&item=37720
17092&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

That is the coin described in the PCGS database for that Reg #.
Looking at the feedback it appears this seller use images of real coins he
doesn't have.

James Higby January 1st 05 07:37 PM

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
link.net...
Not enough detail to say for sure. From the one picture of the reverse,
it is in FAR better condition then the cast coins coming out of China (I
have a few examples).

If I had to guess solely on the pictures, I'd say real. But, coming from
China, I'd stay away. On the other hand, if it is a fake coin and slab,
I'd REALLY like to see it up close.

Wes
"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
Seller is already NARU and a Hong Kong seller. Red flags everywhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

---

The seller's negative feedback seems to be the result of non-delivery of his
goods, not that the goods are of questionable authenticity. The number on
the slab checks out OK on the PCGS website.

James

PJZ January 1st 05 09:10 PM

Which is a very expensive lesson for the bidder. Always check feedback
before bidding! She could have saved herself some grief, and some money.

Pete
www.dylancoins.com

"DFloyd" wrote in message
89.191...