CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Unique and special stamps (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=310327)

Blair (TC) March 10th 11 08:58 PM

Unique and special stamps

This article may be of interest to a number of you.

http://www.funonthenet.in/articles/postage-stamps.html

Blair

Tony Clayton[_2_] March 13th 11 07:14 PM

Unique and special stamps

Blair (TC) wrote:
This article may be of interest to a number of you.

http://www.funonthenet.in/articles/postage-stamps.html

Special and unusual, perhaps, but unique only applies to those few issues
which have a sole survivor.

--
Tony Clayton

Billns March 15th 11 07:43 PM

Unique and special stamps

On 3/13/2011 5:24 PM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

"You will be given the unique opportunity to study with one of Europe’s top
chefs."
Thesaurus entry for this meaning of unique

Strictly speaking, I would expect to be the only person on that
particular trip...

I would grant the travel company some leeway if there were absolutely no
other opportunities "to study with one of Europe's top chefs."

And I don't agree with Salinger that something can be "fairly unique."

Bill

Billns March 16th 11 04:17 PM

Unique and special stamps

On 3/15/2011 3:07 PM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
found these unused words:

Thanks also for snipping the offered DICTIONARY listed definition.

"1 - very special, unusual, or good"

Your 'strictly' definition of 'only one' was the #3 in the offered listing
in several dictionaries.

I often snip messages when my reply is only directed to one part of the
message.

I'm only offering my opinion, not trying to rewrite any dictionaries.

Although I don't agree with Salinger with his use of "fairly unique" I
realize he has written more books than I have -- one -- and was entitled
to use the word in any way he wanted.

Bill

Billns March 16th 11 08:32 PM

Unique and special stamps

On 3/16/2011 12:39 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
"Billns" wrote in message ...

Although I don't agree with Salinger with his use of "fairly unique" I
realize he has written more books than I have -- one -- and was entitled
to use the word in any way he wanted.

Bill

You are in a good company, with Harper Lee, Boris Pasternak, Margaret
Mitchell, Emily Brontë, Oscar Wilde, etc.

10 Acclaimed Authors Who Only Wrote One Book
http://www.onlinedegreeprograms.com/...aimed-authors/

Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Thanks, Victor. I needed that useful information! I feel much better now...

Bill

Billns March 16th 11 08:38 PM

Unique and special stamps

Victor

Additional thoughts after going through your reference in detail.

I have read and enjoyed Toole's "A Confederacy of Dunces."

I didn't realize he only wrote one book. I just hope I don't meet his
fate (suicide), or Margaret Mitchell's (killed by car) either.

Bill

Tony Clayton[_2_] March 17th 11 12:28 PM

Unique and special stamps

Victor Manta wrote:
"Tony Clayton" wrote in message

Blair (TC) wrote:
This article may be of interest to a number of you.

http://www.funonthenet.in/articles/postage-stamps.html

Special and unusual, perhaps, but unique only applies to those few
issues which have a sole survivor.

Or maybe not.

"
b : distinctively characteristic : peculiar 1 this is not a condition
unique to California — Ronald Reagan

To me that is correct as the 'condition' is found only in California

3: unusual a very unique ball-point pen we were fairly unique, the
sixty of us, in that there wasn't one good mixer in the bunch — J. D.
Salinger "

What JD Salinger chooses to misuse does not make it correct!

Concise Oxford Dictionary:
'of which there is only one, having no like or equal or parallel.'
but, I grant you, it then follows with '(colloq.;D) remarkable, unusual'
The D stands for "Disputed i.e. a use that, although widely found, is
still the subject of much adverse comment by a significant number
of educated writers"

--
Tony Clayton