CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Louisiana purchase was 1803 not 1804 (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=28112)

John Stone September 30th 03 06:56 PM

Louisiana purchase was 1803 not 1804

Just to correct my previous posting. The Louisiana purchase was in 1803. The year
1804 was the start of the Louis and Clark expedition.

Richard Snow September 30th 03 09:23 PM

I was at the St. Louis show this past April. I wandered over to the Gateway
arch and mentioned that day was the exact day of the Bicentennial to one of
the guards. He was clueless! There was no special ceremony or anything! It
was reported widely on the radio too.

By the way, the museum at the base has a great set of Indian Peace medals
and an animatron of Charles Barber.

Rick Snow

John Carney October 1st 03 03:16 AM

"Richard Snow" wrote in message
I was at the St. Louis show this past April. I wandered over to the Gateway
arch and mentioned that day was the exact day of the Bicentennial to one of
the guards. He was clueless! There was no special ceremony or anything! It
was reported widely on the radio too.

By the way, the museum at the base has a great set of Indian Peace medals
and an animatron of Charles Barber.

Rick Snow

I saw that exhibition. It was seven years ago, before I got back into coin collecting. I'd
like another chance to see it, I'm sure I'd have a much different perspective now. My wife
and I took the claustrophobic ride up to the top of the arch and I was awed by the
engineering prowess that went into building that monument.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

ELurio October 1st 03 01:57 PM

What's interesting about the Louisiana purchase, is that Louisiana was Spanish
not French. Napolean basically sold what wasn't his and strong-armed Carlos IV
into aquiesence.

Why do you think "The Emperor of the World" would give up a HUGE tract of land
like that?

eric l.

Coin Saver October 1st 03 04:31 PM

From: elurio

Why do you think "The Emperor of the World" would give up a HUGE tract of land

like that?

It was a sheer genius move, had History had gone the way he had wished.

He sells the undeveloped, essentially worthless land for as much as he could
get, use the money to finance his military, conquer (eventually) the Colonial
U.S., and regain possession of the land for free.

8-/
Coin Saver

John Stone October 1st 03 07:20 PM

(ELurio) wrote in message ...
What's interesting about the Louisiana purchase, is that Louisiana was Spanish
not French. Napolean basically sold what wasn't his and strong-armed Carlos IV
into aquiesence.

Why do you think "The Emperor of the World" would give up a HUGE tract of land
like that?

eric l.

I believe he needed the money to finance a war (I forgot who he was fighting at
that time.) The US originally wanted to buy just the port of New Orleans but
the French dropped the bombshell that Napolean decided he wanted to
sell the entire territory. There was a large amount of intrigue and
behind the scenes politics on both sides before the deal finally came
together.